You’ve stuck to the plan all week to a tee. Step on the scales come Sunday to find that they haven’t went down at all, they’ve went up. How can this happen? You’ve done everything right? What is the point…this clearly isn’t working…
Don’t panic! Fluctuations are normal, but they can certainly play tricks on your mind.
So why might this happen?
Scale weight can fluctuate for many reasons such as:
- Hydration levels
- Menstrual cycle
- Sodium/salt intake
- Carbohydrate intake
Having an understanding of why can help you realise that the scale weight you’re seeing is likely one of the above and not actual fat gained. To gain 1lb of fat you need to roughly eat 3500 kcal over your maintenance calories, so if you know for certain you haven’t done this, its pretty safe to say on of the above factors will be responsible.
So what can we do about it?
1. First of all I’d make sure you’re weighing in consistently.
By this I mean:
- At the same time of day
- On the same scales
- Same amount of food or liquids consumed
- Consistent toilet habits
- Using the same scales in the same location
This way you’re comparing apples to apples, not apples to oranges.
2. The next thing I recommend is weighing in daily and taking an average for the week. This give you a far better idea of what’s actually going on.
3. Use more than one method of measuring progress. The scales only tell half a story, you could also use measurements, body fat% and progress photos to give you a better all round idea of progress.
4. Consider carbohydrate intake from the previous day. 1g of carb holds 3g of water, so if you have an extra 200g of carbohydrate you’ll see a scale weight increase of just under 1kg.
5. Consider the stage of your menstrual cycle (women). During different stages of the cycle you’ll hold more or less water weight, see the chart below for more details.
So next time you see your scale weight go up, don’t panic. Don’t go off plan, don’t give up. Apply logic, consider everything I have told you about today and figure out whether it could just be a fluctuation, or do you need to readjust your plan.
If you find yourself lost, not knowing what to do then feel free to get in touch for any advice.
If you’re someone who wants to take all the stress away and have someone else put the plan/structure in place for you to follow then reach out via my socials or give me a call and I will help you achieve results you didn’t think were possible.