Introduction of Permit System at PKC Recycling Centres


A new Recycling Centre Permit System will be introduced at Perth and Kinross Recycling Centres from 9 January 2017, which aims to target traders who claim to be residents with household waste and try to deposit it free of charge.

The majority of people who use recycling centres will be unaffected by the new permit system, however if any ‘commercial’ type vehicle is used to visit the Centres (vans, both liveried and non-liveried, trailers etc.), they will need to apply for an appropriate permit.

Permits are issued at no cost for three specific user categories:
• Domestic Exemption Permit – for householders whose main mode of transport is a van or have use of a trailer or other commercial type vehicle
• Commercial Permit – businesses will need this Permit to be able to dispose of chargeable waste material and to deposit recyclable materials free of charge such as wood, cans, cardboard, paper and glass.  Businesses will also either need to present pre-paid vouchers to dispose of chargeable materials, such as garden waste, general waste and inert waste, or pay in cash or by account at Friarton Weighbridge
• Landlord Permit – with this Permit landlords will be able to dispose of waste free of charge from their tenant’s domestic properties twice in a financial year

Permits are valid for the financial year and should be displayed on the dashboard or shown when visiting Recycling Centres or Friarton Weighbridge.

From 9 January 2017 onwards, pre-paid vouchers can be purchased online via the Council’s website, from Pullar House in person or by phoning the Customer Service Centre.

Information on which materials can be recycled or disposed of at which site online can be found on the Council’s website.  Please note, Inveralmond Recycling Centre will continue to only be available for domestic users.

It’s a requirement of the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) that all businesses who transport any waste materials register with them for a Waste Carriers Licence. All businesses are also by law required to have auditable Waste Transfer Notes to evidence their legal waste and recycling disposal. The new Permit system being put in place will ensure that there is a level playing field for businesses.

Councillor Alan Grant, Convener of the Council’s Environment Committee, said: “There will be an initial introductory period for the new system to give people the chance to understand the changes.  If a resident turns up at one of our recycling centres in a commercial type vehicle in January and don’t have a permit, they will not be turned away.  The attendant will explain the new policy and how they can get the correct permit and then allow them entry to the site.

To register for a Recycling Centre Permit, or to purchase pre-paid vouchers for chargeable materials, businesses and affected householders are advised to visit, or to contact the Council’s Customer Service Centre on 01738 476476.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here